Friday, August 7, 2020

Same Swing for All Clubs

I have been struggling with the driver for a while, basically since the season start around April~May. Sometimes it was alright: only a couple of bad drives in a round, and sometimes very bad: only a couple of good drives in a round. So I finally decided to go to driving range and get back to my normal. 

The bad drives were still the same as a couple of years ago (see a post in 2017): mostly low to the left, and sometimes even toppings. Even though I remembered how to address this problem, which is to aim to the right or trying to hit to the right (and this tip so far mostly worked in my rounds this year), I could not get back to my normal for a couple of sessions at the Eagle Tee driving range (Aug 4 and 5). What I got when I tried to hit to the right ended up with toppings, and sometimes driving into grounds before hitting the ball, and even missed the ball...

I read the Swing Machine Golf book again, and figured that the problem is still using too much hand, or initiating downswing with hands. So I went to the range again on Aug 6 after work, and tried to initiate downswing with hip turn. This worked to some extent, but not leading to very solid drives.

Somehow I decided to try upright swing with my driver after a couple of iron shots. In the past, I tried it before, but didn't get to similar distance as my usual drives. However, on Aug 6 afternoon, the upright swing started to work out. I think I hit quite many solid drives using this new swing with my Callaway driver (but push to the right with an old Tylormade drive, even though both are Neutral setting). 

So I will test the upright swing for my driver in upcoming rounds, and see if I would lose distance. Hopefully not, and I will have the same swing for all my clubs, which will be good and easy to maintain...

No comments: