Friday, July 6, 2018

Shank - Deal with it...

On June 16 (Saturday), I had a great range session at Southwest Golf Ranch, making solid contacts with all irons from PW to 5 Iron, hybrids, and driver too, with

  • Relaxed neutral stance
  • Smooth backswing to top with fully extended arms
  • Downswing initiated with body turn (belly button)


Then with big expectation, I went to play at Majestic Spring the next day (Sunday afternoon), but returned with huge disappointment -- sometimes just too nervous to play a good shot...

Looking back at videotaped swing again, I finally realized that I was trying to hit the ball, instead of swinging. Meanwhile I decided to totally relax myself on the golf course. Think about it, you would not hit a good shot unless you are relaxed... Being nervous can only lead to tension ...

With that in mind, I had a good round at Sharon Woods on June 23.

Another thought about shanks: I noticed that I only had this problem in summer, usually started it on a very hot day. This made me think that the cause must be related to mental issue, maybe subconciously. While standing under the sun to play a shot, I must have become impatient, and then try to hit the ball instead of playing a more relaxed swing...

Need to remind myself when it is becoming hot again next year.

For now, I just go back to my normal swing:

  • Relaxed stance (slightly more weight on left foot for iron shots)
  • Smooth backswing to top with fully extended arms
  • A little pause (to avoid trying to hit at the ball)
  • Downswing initiated with body turn (Go belly button)

Iron shots seem to lose some distance with fade trajectory for now, but I think it will come back as time goes by...

--------------------------
For my own references, ere are some additional drills to fix shanks:
swing grips:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yykU3qvRLs

hand swing path stays close to body (trying to hit thighs):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjXE5ugjQG8

-------------------------

Shank survival guide:
https://practical-golf.com/shanks/

http://positivementalimagery.com/blog/?p=2253
Do not rush
Check basics: body alignment and posture
Release tension
Practice the feel, regain confidence
Check slow-motion video to correct swing

http://www.golfswingsecretsrevealed.com/blog/2011/07/08/how-to-cure-the-golf-shank/
Major reasons for shanks:
Shifting weight forward
Standing too close to ball
Swing outside to inside
Excessive body turn
Hands in front of ball
Cure: Stay ballanced, make room, relax, trying to hit off the toe of clubs

2 comments:

fuzzify said...

Also more upright swing, check at 3/4 point of backswing.

fuzzify said...

Another major reason for shanks is due to severe inside-out swing path, so the cure for this is to try outside-in path. Think about Jim Furyk, and attempt a loop-type swing for exaggeration, and then maybe not to exaggerate so much...